Position: Junior Consultant Rwanda
Duty Station: Kigali, Rwanda
Starting Date: March 2nd, 2015
Type of Contract: Full time for 10 months with possibility of extension
ORGANIZATION AND CONTEXT
Microjustice4All (MJ4All) is a Netherlands based non-governmental organization dedicated to legally empower the poor and excluded. By providing people with legal documentation and enabling them to live under the shelter of the law and enjoy the protection and opportunities it affords, Microjustice4All helps them to get out of the poverty cycle. Through the provision of legal documentation, awareness-raising activities, local capacity building and evidence-based lobbying, we aim to enable all people to participate in society and encourage them to be self-reliant.
MJ4All helps to set up local legal infrastructures (Microjustice Country Organizations) that provide services to obtain legal documents with a focus on:
- Birth certificates and various civil documents to enable access to e.g. education, health care, social benefits, microfinance and voting;
- Housing and land registration for property protection, access to collateral and investment opportunities;
- Setting up businesses, cooperatives and other legal entities, and drafting contracts to increase income-generating activities and civil society participation; and
- Legal issues related to the above, mostly related to family law and inheritance matters.
MJ4All coordinates MJ4All Country Organizations in Latin America (Bolivia, Peru and Argentina), Africa (Kenya and Rwanda) and Europe (former Yugoslavia: Serbia/Croatia), and is seeking to expand its MJ4All network. Microjustice Rwanda (MJR) started in 2012, providing consults to vulnerable people about legal requirements and procedures for cross-border trade and other legal needs and providing basic legal documents as land registration, transfer of title deeds and registration of cooperatives, among others. Currently, MJR it is developing a more general MJ4All program in Kigali, with a special focus on the legal empowerment of women. For more information visit: www.microjustice4all.org; www.microjusticerwanda.org
POSITION AND RESPONSABILITIES
The Junior Consultant Rwanda will be responsible for program development, coordination and expansion in Rwanda, under the direct guidance and supervision of the MJ4All founding director and business manager
TASKS AND DUTIES
- Supporting Microjustice Rwanda in the use of the MJ4All method:
- Product development: based on the legal needs assessment, provide technical support in the development of standardized legal services.
- Service distribution network: support the expansion of service distribution networks, including through cooperation with Microfinance Institutions, NGOs, grassroots organizations, rural entrepreneurs, local government agencies, and church organizations & opening legal outlets;
- Lobbying: through evidence, support lobbying and advocacy activities with relevant governmental institutions in order to eliminate legal obstacles.
- Supporting Microjustice Rwanda to strengthen its organizational management, including HR, financial management, and strategic planning.
- Supervising project management and ensuring the quality of donor reporting
- Conducting fundraising efforts: Together with Microjustice Rwanda, identify funding opportunities, and initiate grant-writing exercises. Build relationships with donors and maintain them.
- Support external communication efforts, including setting up and updating a website and Facebook, conducting presentations, etc.
- Carry out other tasks as required
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- University degree in a relevant discipline (law; public administration; political sciences, project management; development studies)
- Preferably 2 years or more of relevant work experience, which includes experience with project management and in East Africa
- Experience with managing staff
- Fundraising experience and knowledge about the procedures, and possibilities related to East Africa
- Familiarity with legal empowerment and legal services
Please be advised that preference will be given to a qualified international candidate who is currently based in Rwanda.
SKILLS & HABILITIES
- Strong skills in English
- Basic skills in French
- Strong analytical and writing skills
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Affinity to work with a start-up organization
- Creative thinking and problem-solving skills
- Sensitive communicator
Application deadline: Monday 23rd, February 2015
Interviews: From Wednesday 25th to Friday 27th, February 2015
Starting date: Monday 2nd, March 2015